Last weekend I had the chance to take a 3 day class at Workhouse Art Center from Corina Tettinger.  It's been a while since I've done any lamp working at all, and Corina is a world renowned artist and teacher, so I was more than a tad intimidated.  I mean, take a look at some of her work:


Corina has a very direct style - while she always prefaced techniques with "this is just how I do it, there are other ways" she wasn't shy about saying "you are doing that wrong." But she always followed that with, "Here, let me show you again" and lots of laughter.  

We covered a huge spectrum of techniques and styles - I can hardly remember everything we did, but here are some of the beads that made it into the kiln:

Dots

Twisted dots

Lines and spirals (in the back are lines made with goldstone stringer that we also learned to make)

Stacked dots and pokes

Murini and off mandrel work (that glob at the top is a bail :-))

Close swirls with encased stringer (which we also leaned to make)

Beside having my brain crammed with superior lamp work instruction, I also lucked out with the best classmates.  Most belong to the Virginia Firebirds, a chapter of ISGB.  I am so excited to get connected to this great group, and stay connected to all things lamp work.













Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.